Random Acts of Kindness

Yesterday on the way to the office I swung by Starbucks because I had a hankering for a peppermint mocha. I decided to pay for the order of the person behind me in the drive-thru line. I’ve done it other times. It’s such a fun thing to do and it feels so good to give somebody a surprise. Hopefully it brightens their day and they pay it forward in some way.

Check out what a positive thing this is by reading these recent tweets. I think it’s fantastic the number of people who do is.

I was telling a friend of mine at work about this and she said one time the person in front of her paid for her order at McDonald’s. We both talked about how we sometimes give our shopping cart at ALDI to somebody. It only costs a quarter but you should see how surprised and happy they are when you do it.

You don’t even have to spend money or give something to somebody. I was at Costco one day and a man had a cart he was going to have to push a good distance to a rack. So, I said I’d take it from him. I was heading toward the store and needed a cart anyway. Even little actions like that can make a positive impact in the day of another.

Have you ever given or received a random act of kindness?

7 Comments on Random Acts of Kindness

1. JLVerde
    December 20, 2013 at 7:10 am (4 months ago)

I do something similar. If I get a gift card for a store/restaurant I don’t regularly go to, I give it away.

Just the other day I got a $5 one for Starbucks (I never go there) and I gave it to my co-worker who loves coffee.

That $5 means more to her than it would to me.

2. Susan
    December 19, 2013 at 3:14 pm (4 months ago)

My husband and I have on several occasions paid the difference between what the person in front us at the grocery has and what the actual price of the groceries are. We have also given coupons to people waiting in line. I have always appreciated it when someone stops and lets me enter traffic ahead of them, so we frequently do the same. We also take grocery carts people have just emptied and returned them to the store so they don’t have to.

3. Barbara Rabinowitz
    December 19, 2013 at 2:41 pm (4 months ago)

I try not to miss an opportunity to tell a parent how well-mannered his or her child is. If the child is not with the parent when I witness some genuine politeness or good manners, I have gone as far as to search the grocery store until I find the parent and child together, and then pass along a compliment. Similarly, I try not to miss an opportunity to tell a parent what a great communicator he or she is with the child(ren). Parenting is sufficiently hard that a kind word or a pat on the back, even from a stranger, can bring sunshine to a challenging day. And, this is all such fun to do, being alert to the opportunity and acting on it.

4. Tamara Hampton
    December 19, 2013 at 1:00 pm (4 months ago)

I have had people help me in situations where i didn’t expect it. Once i had lost some cash and I was thirty dollars short at the cash register. The woman behind me paid for my groceries!!! She wouldn’t let me take her address to send her money. I did write on my receipt a coupon for free pizza… we were days away from opening a new pizzeria in the neighborhood and she was one of our first customers, used the coupon and then ordered more! this was in the houston area and I didn’t expect that kindness in a large town… but honestly i think people were nicer there than they are in my small town sometimes!

• Melissa
      December 19, 2013 at 1:43 pm (4 months ago)

That’s wonderful. I witnessed a man pay for the groceries of a lady and it brought tears to my eyes. There are plenty of good people out there and it’s a joy to see them in action.

5. elsiesgeekeryEl
    December 19, 2013 at 12:14 pm (4 months ago)

That’s cool. How does it work logistically, to pay for the order of the person behind you? Do you have to stand there and see what they order? Or do you just tell the cashier to use your credit card? Also, what if they are ordering for several people and it winds up being a lot of money?

• Melissa
      December 19, 2013 at 1:45 pm (4 months ago)

I did it in the drive-thru and asked the guy at the window how much the order was for the person behind me.