For 2014 I made a promise to myself to sew more. So, I decided to get involved in some organized activities. I’ve already mentioned the Japanese Charm Swap and Quilty Stitches. I’m always seeing all kinds of quilt alongs, blocks of the month and such. With working a full time job and so much other stuff going on, there’s no way I can keep up with most of them. Then I came across a block of the month that combines two of my favorite things — sewing and getting a chance to win Aurifil thread. It’s the Aurifil block of the month!

Each month they will feature a block made by one of the challenge designers. All you have to do is make that block and upload a photo of it to the Flickr group to be entered in the random giveaway of a set of 12 large spools of Aurifil thread (a $120 value).

I figure this will be a great chance to get some sewing in and try my hand at piecing blocks I’ve never done before. Hopefully learn a thing or two, also.

Starting things off is a spool block for January.

Here’s my try at it. Those are Bella and Kona solids. I probably wouldn’t be able to tell you which ones exactly.

The block has issues. I had a problem with the triangle pieced strips. For some reason they would bow. The outside long grey edge would bow out and the inside pieced edge would bow in.

Once I had each spool put together I squared them but ended up trimming about 1/4″ total off. That threw it all out of whack once I sewed those four sections together. I must say I’m pretty surprised the center almost looks like the four points are coming together.

I’m going to step on a little soapbox for a moment here. I pointed out to you the problems with my block. It doesn’t bother me that it isn’t perfect. I think we see quite a bit of what is displayed as perfection in the online quilting world. I feel making is not about perfection. It’s about making. The pleasure you get out of the entire process no matter what the end result may be. Also, it’s not a race. There seems to be a lot of churning out of projects going on. Slow down. Take the time to enjoy what you’re doing. Remember and put into practice these things. I’m stepping down off the little soapbox now.

By the way, I used my handy Clover hera marker to mark the lines on the squares. All it does it make a sharp crease in the fabric. It doesn’t mark on it with ink or anything else.

So, now I want to know if you are participating in the Aurifil block of the month or any other block of the month or quilt along or a sew along or some other kind of along.

Oh! I forgot to tell you this was the first sewing I’ve done this year. I’m finally back in the saddle. Watch out!

10 Comments on Aurifil BOM {January 2014}

1. usairdoll
    January 25, 2014 at 12:18 am (4 years ago)

Great post Melissa. Not that I like you making mistakes, hehe but I know for myself I like hearing about ups and downs, what worked and didn’t work and knowing that someone else out there is just like me. I only just learned about the hera marker and appreciate you sharing what tools you use. What do they say? It’s not about the destination, it’s about the journey. Great job and thanks for sharing!

2. Joanna
    January 25, 2014 at 2:56 am (4 years ago)

I’ve been thinking of doing this block of the month, but I don’t fancy this particular block, so was wondering what February’s might be to get more of an idea on how the blocks will come out. And you’re right, there’s always “look at how pretty I am” posts, but I think it’s important we see the mistakes we make too. How many times have we given up on something because we don’t think it looks good enough compared to the pretty things we see posted? Perhaps if we saw mistakes as well, we’d see that we’re all “the same” and no one is perfect and no one can make perfect things without hitting a few bumps!

3. Mariana Galvagno
    January 25, 2014 at 3:57 am (4 years ago)

Hi Melissa! I haven’t tried Aurifil Bom yet, it’s on my to do list. Thanks for sharing your experience. I’ll come back to you when I do this. By the way, there’s a lot if swaps going on in Flickr, are you in any of those. I find them a great way to keep me sewing and growing. And I’m lado hosting a Pay it forward ;)

4. Denise
    January 25, 2014 at 8:26 am (4 years ago)

Thank you so much for this post. I read a lot of blogs in my quest to learn to quilt and I see lots and lots of perfection, but few errors. As a beginning quilter I make A LOT of errors and pull out lots of stitches. I am relieved to know that I am not the only person who makes mistakes. Your comments about slowing down and not pushing to do a gazillion projects is also great. Too many blogs talk about the 30 or 40 projects they are working on and plan to finish this year. Your honesty is refreshing and very welcome; very few bloggers are willing to share like you did. It is bloggers like you who keep beginners like me going forward and not being so terrible discouraged. Again, thank you so much.

5. Liz Rehrauer
    January 25, 2014 at 9:11 am (4 years ago)

Thanks for getting on your soapbox. I want my quilts to look handmade and they do. If you want perfection, go buy a quilt

6. Liz Rehrauer
    January 25, 2014 at 9:33 am (4 years ago)

Thanks for getting on your soapbox. I’m with you. I want my quilts to look handmade. If you want perfection, buy one.

7. Michelle
    January 25, 2014 at 8:15 pm (4 years ago)

Thanks for this Melissa. I hope you don’t mind but I put a link back to this post on my latest post. BTW I don’t see anything wrong with your block. I can tell you something I do. I iron it into submission!!!!! LOL

8. Sherry
    January 26, 2014 at 8:59 am (4 years ago)

I am glad that I read your post this morning. I agree about taking the time to enjoy what we are doing. I am also doing the Aurifil BOM but have yet to make my first block. My fabric is gathered and ready to go. I have also joined the Sugar Block Club block of the month and will work to complete projects this year. I too work full time but love to sew when I can.

9. Jansie
    January 26, 2014 at 8:45 pm (4 years ago)

Great post. Thanks for the honesty. I get anxious just thinking about all the projects and bom’s and quilt a longs that some bloggers have to keep up with. I always wonder what is falling to the wayside in order for them to keep up. :/ Not my business, but I still think about it. ;) And, your block looks great!