Back in February I introduced you to the Odds and Ends quilt I was planning on making. Odds and Ends being a fabric collection by Cosmo Cricket for Moda.
One weekend in July That Man and our daughter went to southern Missouri to visit his sister and I took advantage of that time to work on this quilt. I was able to take over our not so big house with all of my quilting paraphernalia and set up up my sewing table in the living room. Hello, Netflix!
I knew I was going to use the green alphabet print for the back — which by the way I didn’t pay attention when I sewed the two pieces together to make the back and they face in opposite directions. Then I decided I liked it. I also decided I didn’t want to rip that long seam out and do it over.
Because I love green so much I went with the green dot print for the binding. I had also considered using the red alphabet print for the binding but green won out over red. I had a feeling that would happen.
When I first started working on it I chose to make four patch blocks where each combined a print with a matching blender. That was all good but then I spent an evening on my kitchen floor arranging and rearranging the blocks and not coming up with a layout I liked.
So, I figured I would let it go and try again in the morning. The next morning I started at it again fresh and immediately came up with the final layout. It was like a revelation! Isn’t that such a great feeling?
I really feel I can never get a good full shot of a quilt. The colors just don’t look right.
Anyway, you can see what I did. The design is radiating out from the center in two ways. Horizontally it goes from red in the center to green and then aqua at the sides. Vertically it goes from darker in the center to lighter at the top and bottom.
Then I did my go to way of machine quilting, which is bigger stitches using a walking foot. I lined the edge of the foot up with the seam and stitched on each side of it.
I did the binding as I always do — machine attaching it to the front, folding it over and hand stitching it to the back. I am one of those people that like hand finishing the binding. I really enjoy this last step of my quilting process. Sitting with it on my lap. Getting a really good close look at it. A little one on one quiet time with the quilt. I think those of you who enjoy hand stitching binding know what I’m talking about.
I am so glad this past weekend two things happened at one time — (1) the weather was nice and (2) I remembered to take photos of the quilt. It’s been sitting folded up for over two months waiting to be put into use.
- Size about 54″ x 72″
- 192 charm squares (5″)
- 48 four patch blocks
- Odds and Ends collection fabric
- Warm and White batting
- Aurifil 50wt thread color 2310 for piecing
- Aurifil 28wt thread color 2310 for quilting